Morgan County-Decatur Farmers Market
211 First Avenue SE
Decatur, Alabama 35601
Why you should shop at the farmers market:
1. Locally grown fruits and vegetables are fresher, taste better, and provide better health and nutritional benefits than food that has been harvested and transported from thousands of miles away.
2. Locally grown foods have less environmental impact because less fuel was used in transporting it to market.
3. By purchasing locally grown produce, you help maintain farmland and green spaces in your area.
4. The fewer steps that there are between your food's source and your table, the less chance for a food safety concern.
5. Money spent with local farmers and growers stays close to home instead of being sent to another city, state, or country.
6. Locally produced foods allow for a greater variety of available foods. Just think of all of the different varieties of tomatoes available at the farmers market: Brandywines, Lemon Boys, Early Girls.
7. Fresh fruits and vegetables taste really good when you have not eaten any fresh things in 9 or 10 months. Your taste buds will thank you.
8. Knowing where your food is grown will connect you to the people who grew it, give you peace of mind, and helps to create a stronger community.